Friday, May 14, 2010

The Countdown Begins

This time the doctor at the Medical Center wasn’t in Clinic 7. He was in the Family Practice Clinic. A resident preparing to care for the family, he was kind, very kind. Ultimately he would save my daughter’s life by his quick action in the delivery room. They had a social worker see me; her name was Williams. She knew her job and was always kind. Another professional, a nurse practitioner with a PhD, Dr. Mausch would see me as well. They were a great team. This time I had support. Dr. Mausch, Peg Williams and Dr. Halverson – I thanked God for them.

Two other angels stepped in to help me, Jane and Duane Shingleton. He was the President of the Full Gospel Businessmen's Fellowship International (FGBMFI) Chapter in Columbia Missouri. She was the President of the Women's Aglow Chapter. They were the quintessential Charismatic couple. They owned a large hog farm. Alvin had worked for them for a short while. They befriended me and loved me. They prayed for me and bought me food. They were Jesus in flesh to me.

It was three weeks before my due date. I had a fever. I had some pain. I went to the clinic. None of my support system were there that day. Another doctor examined me said I was fine. The temperature was due to a Urinary Tract Infection. He put me on antibiotics and told me to rest.

I went to my mother's first. She was heading out of town with her husband to his mother's. She said I could stay in the house, alone. Alvin's sister Judy had agreed to watch Nathan and Jason when I went into labor. She agreed to take them for the weekend since I wasn't feeling well.

I called Jane. She said come here. I went. The board for FGBMFI was meeting at their house. The men gathered around me, anointed me with oil and prayed for me. I went to bed in their son's room. I tried to sleep. The pain continued and escalated. My fever spiked. It was the first time I had a UTI so I had no idea what to expect. The doctor told me I had plenty of time before the baby came. 

At 2 a.m. I got up to go to the bathroom. Tiptoeing I tried to silently slip into the bathroom. I was bleeding. Dr. Halverson had given me his home telephone number for such an emergency. I called him. He said meet me at the hospital. 

I walked to the Shingleton's bedroom door and knocked. Jane, can you drive me to the hospital. Off we went. I had no idea what to expect. I had been told I wasn't in labor.

As Jane drove her white Cadillac, she prayed. She prayed in English, she prayed in tongues. She rebuked everything she could think of, and prayed for my child. Like something out of a novel, a black cat also crossed our paths that night. With that she exclaimed, Oh, did you feel that? With that she hit the gas, rebuked the devil and got me to the Medical Center where Dr. Halverson was waiting.

No birthing rooms were available in 1975; it was to a cold exam room I went. I was in labor. It was time for the enema. Everyone in labor in 1975 had to have an enema. Trips to the bathroom while ready to push my child into the world were the result. No labor room this time, a swift trip to the delivery room, alone, I was ready to deliver.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments appropriate