You Need a Vowel!

I visited with two of my favorite people. All three of us are woman who feel they were called to ministry. All three of us had classes together.  One of us is a single woman and is much younger. Two of us are "mature."

I love these two women. I wish I could see them more often. Like everything else I leave behind when I leave Nashville, I leave these women behind.  When we get together, it is like all time has vanished and we pick up where we left off. We could probably do better about staying together, but we don’t.

Today we were sharing some of our lives. I was sharing all my frustrations of late. Seems my sisters also have some frustrations.  

I was sharing my frustrations about ministry, school, and life. One of them asked me the typical questions. Is this what God wants you to do? Etc. The other said she didn’t have too much to say. She is the one of grace and mercy but this time, I think she just didn’t have anything to say.

After the questions, one of my sisters, the outspoken one who can get by with saying almost anything to me, said something I will never forget.  Maybe you need to hear it too.

She said you need a vowel.

I thought - what?

She said you need a vowel.

At first, I thought she said vow. I thought that maybe I was supposed to make a deeper commitment or something.

No, she said VOWEL, like a, e, i, o, u and sometimes y. You remember, we learned that in first grade.
She said this is like Wheel of Fortune. The phrase is up there, but you just can’t read it. You need to know what it says; you want to know. You want to read the message from God that is going to give you direction but you can’t.  You want to buy a vowel. If you only had an E or an O so you can read the message.
It’s not there.  

I thought for me, this is like that last round, where you want to win the jackpot? You are afraid the time will be over and you’ll loss. Or you’ll hit the bankrupt just before you figure it out.

That is how I feel. I feel like if I could just have a vowel. I want to see the message, to have direction but there are no vowels.

As I hugged my sister goodbye – she gives the best hugs. She said baby, you’re going to get a vowel. I know it – we’ll get our vowels. 

That was one of the most hopeful things I’ve heard in a long time.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suddenly

I'm in the Lord's Army!

Malla Moe, Tante Ruth, and Saturday Chores