Family

I’m really not that old. I don’t usually tell my age because I am now old enough to be sensitive about it. I will tell you this, I am not eligible for senior discounts or free coffee. I am old enough to be a member of AARP although I am not.

I got started with reproduction very early. In a few days that son will have a birthday. We have all sorts of interesting statistics in our family like this one, my oldest son is closer in age to me than he is to his youngest sibling. He and I are 17 years apart. He and his sister are 21 years apart. Having eight children, and one miscarriage, I have been pregnant for about 6 ¼ years. Add to that another 6 years for breastfeeding, my body was busy.

I have fourteen grandchildren plus one who is in heaven. I became a grandmother 19 years ago last month. Amanda has been at basic training for the Army for a few months now.  Hard to imagine. When she was little, I used to take her out with her Aunt who was a mere six months older than here. On one hand, I would have this beautiful little blonde girl calling me Nana. On the other, was this amazingly cute and delightful dark haired girl calling me Mommy. I wish I still had the picture of the two of them when they were still infants to show you.

My youngest grandchild had a birthday party last night. She turns three this week. She is amazing. She is smart and spunky. She loves to call her Nana on the phone and say, “Nana, I love you.” She says more than that but Nana usually doesn’t understand her long stories.  She remembers everything.

I don’t get to see any of my grandchildren enough. I don’t live near any of them.

Last December a new member came into our family. I crossed over a milestone. I became a great-grandmother. One of my grandson’s became a dad at an age close to what I was when I became a mother. I think I understand the challenges he and the baby’s mother will face. Life is not going to be easy for any of them.

What an amazing thing! To be a Great Grandmother and not even old enough for a senior discount. There are now 23 people in the world that I am directly or indirectly responsible for being in this world. Don’t tell the folks at population control. They might come arrest me or something.

I held Roxanna Roman our newest member of the family last night and looked at her face. I prayed that somehow, no matter what struggles she faces in her life that she would know Jesus. That is my prayer for all the children, grandchildren and now this “great.”

Like all parents and grandparents, I realize that prayer is all you can do and also the most you can do. Looks like I have a lot of praying to do. Just going through a one sentence prayer for each of them takes quite a while. 

Thank you God for my beautiful large family
 Keep them safe. Protect them.
 But most of all, let them each come to You, Know You and
Trust in the saving grace of Your Son, My Savior and Lord, Jesus Christ.

Comments

Post a Comment

Please keep comments appropriate

Popular posts from this blog

Suddenly

Malla Moe, Tante Ruth, and Saturday Chores

I'm in the Lord's Army!