Trust and Obey

In 800 yards, turn right.
At the end of the road, turn left on to garbled street.
Go 300 feet and turn around.

A GPS is a wonderful thing and it is persistent.  It never relents.  It never listens to our rationale that we think this is a better route. 

This weekend, we were on a quest to find a cul-de-sac on the outskirts of the small town of Thomasville NC.  We missed the GPS instructions to take the exit.  Without missing a beat, the GPS rerouted.  At first it tried to get us to turn around, then it planned another route.

Sometimes when following a GPS you see a “sign” – the sign seems to contradict the GPS.  Such was the case on Saturday.  We saw the sign for Thomasville – we looked at each other.  I said, “It’s your choice, you are the one who is driving.”  He followed the sign.

The GPS persisted.  We kept going ignoring what the GPS was telling us.

Soon we realized that we were far off course.

We had not listened to the GPS and yet the GPS never relented.  It kept rerouting and got us to our destination.  I thought to myself, we go our own way and yet the GPS is faithful to bring us to our destination.
I thought about the time I preached just such a sermon.  It was another time we didn’t listen to the GPS.  I preached how the Holy Spirit is always there to guide us.  We may not listen but once we do listen, we get to our destination.

A few years later, with cap and gown on, I listened to the speaker at my Trevecca graduation.  She had the same message.  She hadn’t heard my sermon but she preached it fairly well.  Now the Lord brought me back to that message.

The signs don’t look like you are going in the right direction.  There are signs that say it’s time to exit.   We take the exit, and realize it’s not the right exit.  How wonderful that the Holy Spirit knows where your destination (destiny) is and can get you there no matter how many times you think you are lost.  All you have to do is listen and follow or put another way – Trust and Obey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suddenly

I'm in the Lord's Army!

Malla Moe, Tante Ruth, and Saturday Chores