Can You See Them?

When I was a child I used to hear sermons of hell
      Someone would say they saw it
         The vision of people falling into a fiery pit imprinted on my soul
             I’d wonder and fear, cry and repent…
                    Now I only think of another line, the line of saints going home

I see them in line, in robes of white with sparkling crowns
      As they near the throne, they stop and bow
            They bow as they have always bowed, before the Lord of Lords

I see my godly mother and father, flawed and imperfect made whole by the blood of the Lamb.
      I see them together again, worshipping their Lord
             They gave there best, they gave me life, they gave me LIFE – they gave me
Jesus

I see my Sunday School teachers and Pastors of my childhood
     I see so clearly their imprint on my life – a heritage of holiness and faith
              I see those I only saw in photographs, my grandparents and my mother’s childhood pastor

I see the saints from Waynesboro that formed my mother’s faith
     I see especially the one at the end of the line who entered heaven’s portal this morning
        So many are there to thank her for her life, witness and faithfulness.
            I see her family gather round her, what a heritage
               Her friends join in the joyful reunion, 
                     the Pott's
                     the Bumbaugh's
                     the Calimer's
                     the girls of Wayne Hill.

Just like the late night reunions by the street light
            They join together under the light of the Lord

They giggle, hug, and laugh, they are home. Home at last.

I see them; I see hundreds of them –

I wonder who is teaching the Sunday School now.
              I wonder who is sharing God’s love through a smile, a touch, a card, a song…
                   Do you see them? 

I see them
I see them as they briefly leave the worship of the throne and look at us

They are looking to see if we are coming behind them.

I wonder will we hear well done, good and faithful?



ONLY ONE LIFE WILL SOON BE PAST
ONLY WHAT'S DONE FOR CHRIST WILL LAST


Hebrews 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, 2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Comments

  1. What a beautiful message Joyce! I love how you are now focusing on the positives. We learn and grow and become who we are through our life circumstances. But God places people in our lives to help, share and encourage us. That Sunday school teacher who is entering heaven's gate is an example, isn't she? In the midst of pain, there is blessing and hope. Hope restored is something I recently discovered.

    I love this song. It is so touching and special.

    Sending you a hug Joyce.

    Love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep comments appropriate

Popular posts from this blog

Suddenly

I'm in the Lord's Army!

Malla Moe, Tante Ruth, and Saturday Chores