Sacrifice of Praise!


I remember a long time ago reading a book, Prison to Praise by Merlin Carothers.  It is considered a charismatic classic. It has a simple message, thank God in all circumstances. It's been a long time since I read it, probably 30 years. Over the years, I can't say I've been good with this concept. I tend to be negative at times. I also find that there are times that while I know in my head that I have much to be thankful for, even in the rough times, I still need to vent sometimes. I need to express my pain.

Have you ever noticed this in the Psalms? Many of them follow this pattern. I'm in a mess, I am in pain, everything has gone wrong, I have no friends, my enemies surround me and that it is as if the switch of faith gets turned on and you find the psalmist praising God. It is almost schizophrenic.

I am sure that you have been watching the coverage of Haiti. Have you noticed the spontaneous worship services on the beach by people with nothing left? Have you noticed how many of those rescued have this amazing grace-filled attitude of thanksgiving and praise? I've noticed and I've been ashamed of myself.

There is something about a sacrifice of praise. There is something so powerful about giving praise to God in the midst of pain. I'm not good at it. God is teaching me things as I watch the coverage of the devastation in Haiti.  The people of Haiti are teaching me what I never quite learned with reading a book. The images of people in worship have amazed and shamed me. I'm repenting of my lack of gratitude. I'm learning what worship really is, it is not about me, but about who God is.

I've been thinking about this blog for a week. Today I came across this video. It says it well.
Blessed Be Your Name Video

Comments

  1. Faith in the Lord will allow you to persevere any obstacle put in your way and at the same time grants you the strength to overcome all pain and suffering if only you believe and praise Him.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep comments appropriate

Popular posts from this blog

Suddenly

I'm in the Lord's Army!

Malla Moe, Tante Ruth, and Saturday Chores